Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2011

Why should they get a bailout?

Our city has a referendum on the ballot tomorrow.  What the issue is and the amount of money being requested doesn't really matter to me.  I do know the issue, and have carefully considered what my vote will be.  That said, I am very unlikely to ever vote to support a referendum.  Why should the city, in this case, get a bailout for poor planning when they did their budget?  And when the referendum dollars run out (if passed), and I am nearly certain they will, will we need another referendum to continue supporting the program/cause/facility/etc?  It seems that is the case here looking back at previous referendums.

The voters here have voted down every referendum presented to them for the last 2 years.  This is a community where many jobs have been lost and many more will be lost in the months to come as another large company closes its doors.  People who are lucky enough to have kept their jobs have not had wage increases in a few years.  Expenses have gone up for food, gas, health care and insurance.  No one has given them a bailout.  They have to live and work within their means.  Why should the city/county/state get one when it is they who have failed to plan properly and/or balance their budget.

It would take an unforeseen and probably very tragic event for me to support one of these bailouts.  Fortunately, I guess, I have yet to see this happen.

1 comment:

  1. Surely you jest! Government on any level living within its means like *gasp* common people?

    Seriously. Bang on.

    Sincerely,

    Crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete